Easter 2011

Easter 2011

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Church

Jan 23rd



Rather than sight-seeing our group agrees to go to church. I've suggested it because I really wanted to return. Over four years ago, while visiting the White Swan, we attended church right outside the backdoor of the hotel. They have a service in English and Chinese and this was THE MOMENT when I knew we were coming back one day to adopt. So, I had to go to church. The service is about 90 minutes with English praise songs and a translated sermon. This was a very Calvinist sermon about total depravity with the hope of a Savior in Christ. It was short and sweet, but so refreshing to me. Also, there is something powerful about singing "How Great Thou Art" in many languages together. I've sung with Chinese, German, Russian and English. It seems to be a hymn that all believers know. The last part of the service is a special group singing only in Chinese, but I didn't care. Eventually, our boys got wiggly and we left a few minutes early, but it was a great morning for me.

I've noticed a few signals that Ethan is not comfortable yet, or still adjusting. I know it's only been a week and this process takes time, but a mom can't help but notice. Actually these are good clues because I see them at home recur when we are doing too much or taking on too many new situations.

Shoes--Ethan loves his shoes. He doesn't want to take them off, even when he's sleeping --or he wants to hold them while he sleeps.

Food--Ethan is not picky about eating and doesn't gorge himself, but he is a little chipmunk. After he's full, he continues to stuff his cheeks with food. When he doesn't like something, he will eat it but now swallow. After most meals, I hold out my hand and let him spit it out. I've learned to be careful because he will hold the food for a long time, even when he goes down to sleep. He doesn't mind spitting it out, thankfully. He's still doing this after being home several weeks.

Sleep--During the first few days, Ethan wanted no socks or shoes and no blanket when he slept. He actually wanted as little clothing as possible. He would not cuddle with me and would not let me cover him with a blanket. He just needed a thumb and some space. After three weeks home, he has a better routine with kisses and cuddles, and he lets me cover him with a blanket. He likes someone in the room when he's falling asleep and a lot of darkness. His crib is in our bedroom, so usually, I just rest on the bed until he falls asleep. It doesn't take him long as long as it's dark and quiet. Even though he's tall enough and plenty strong, he has never tried to climb out of the crib. I think the sleep routine is my best indicator that he's settling in with us.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jan - great stuff here - know that church in GZ on the island well!

    Interesting that you have a 'behavior spotting' we call it! Our 2nd adopted has one that still happens now almost 3 years later. When things are getting stressful she 'wrings her hands' but she puts them behind her back so no one 'sees' it. When ever her hands go behind her we look for it and then try to 'desclate' what ever is going on to lower her stress level. Good cue to have!

    hugs - aus and co.

    ReplyDelete