Easter 2011

Easter 2011

Monday, February 14, 2011

The First Day in Guangzhou

Jan 22nd



The White Swan hotel is very luxurious hotel, the nicest I've ever stayed, not that I stay in a lot of upscale hotels. It's so much easier than in Shandong. We are paired with 3 other families from our agency, sharing a guide for the rest of the trip.



The medical exam is the first task for the day. We make a short walk through a nice business area with parks to the clinic. About 30 families are gettting the required medical exam needed for the visa application. As we wait and talk to families, I am in awe of all these redeemed children. Almost everyone I meet is adopting a waiting child. We all talk about the needs and what can be done at home. I am amazed that simple procedures in many cases will allow these children to lead normal, healthy lives. The attitude of the parents is what amazes me most. The attitude is love and acceptance. There is also a fierce determination to do all we can for these children. We are all a little shell-shocked from the first week, too.



When the doctor looks at Ethan's hands and feet, his attitude is different. I'm not blaming him because he sees so many children, only filling out the necessary forms. He counts his fingers with the nurse to decide how many good fingers he has. "One, only one." Rob started to argue with him. "No, these fingers are fine, they just look different." I told Rob that he just wanted to complete his paperwork; it didn't matter what he wrote down. But, we both felt a little defensive, ready to fight for equality for Ethan.



It's true. Ethan's amniotic banding left his fingers on his left hand fat, except for the middle finger, which is short. But, he has five fingers to move and use fairly normally. His right hand was originally like a mitten with a thumb and four fused fingers. At 8 months, doctors in Linyi gave Ethan a pointer finger, which allows him to do a lot. He can eat with a fork with both hands. He can pick up Cheerios and put a Playmobil man in an airplane. After a few days Rob and I stopped seeing that his hands were different at all. His toes have the same kinds of issues, but he walks, runs, goes up stairs etc. without difficulty.



For all of these children waiting to be checked at each station for vision, weight, get a TB test, they are going home to be loved by parents who have longed for them, saved for them and waited for this day. I gave Ethan a new name, new clothes and a future. We will give him every medical treatment possible and send him to college one day. I loved him before I even met him. I am so aware that all of these children have been rescued. This

is exactly how my heavenly father sees me. This is what he has done for me and more. I had been sensing this throughout the past few months, a life picture of God's love for me, but this day it was so clear and wonderful.



During naptime, I met with the other families in my group and filled out paperwork for the American Consulate. I had to get all of the right papers together from home and the province. This is when I get the homestudy, passport photos, copies and papers from the province all together. Once everything is in order, the guide collects everything and sends us back to our rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment